Monday, August 10, 2009

Back to Work

Disclaimer: You are going to have to ingore all the spelling errors that are in these blogs. For those of you who don't know, I'm a horrible speller, and this blog site doesn't have spell check! Oh how I miss spellcheck. Anyway, try to ignore (and feel free to laugh) at all the funny spelling mishaps.

It's Monday and time to head back to work for the week. I'm sad to say goodbye to the weekend, it was really fun. I went out to dinner, drinks, and dancing with some of the other people in my apartment complex (Martina Morris and Steve Goodreau, professors at the University of Washington for those of you who are in the HIV field) on Friday. We tried every appetizer on the menu and had some of the most amazing white wine Sangria I've ever tasted! It even had fresh strawberries and rasperries in it! The restaurant turned into a dancing spot soon after we arrived and was playing music from the 60s, 70s and 80s. They played some great songs, including Men in Black, a personal favorite of mine from the days when I had a huge crush on Will Smith, haha!

On Saturday I went to this amazing jewlery store and to Michael Chung's house (another UW professor) for a BBQ with the some of the UW crew. The food at Michael's was great, smoked ribs, teriyaki chicken, corn on the cob, and some amazing salads. Micheal had even made homemade chocolate ice cream, delicious! After dinner everyone played games on the wii. If you don't have it yet, I highly recommend getting wii resort. We also played some crazy game where you had to throw giant cows by swinging the wii over your head like a lasso, pretty hilarious. Before the night was over there were also some dance dance revolution moves and rock band renditions that were quite amusing.

Yesterday we went to the Massai Market and did some shopping. I tried my hand at doing some bargaining for prices, but I'm not very good. Thankfully, the people in the group I went with were much better than me and were able to teach me some tricks :) If you are coming to visit, hopefully by the time you get here I'll be good at it and be able to get you some good prices!

After many phone calls with the airlines, my bag arrived on Saturday and was delivered to my apartment for me. Nothing was missing, except for the butane lighter I had packed to light our gas stove (which was confiscated by TSA because lighters are not allowed, oops!).

The apartment was a mess when I arrived, so disgusting, and many things were broken. I've been working with the maintenance guy to get things fixed and have been cleaning all weekend (well, when I wasn't out playing). It's coming along, but there is still a long way to go! I'm heading to the Nakumat (wallmart/target type store in Africa) to get some much needed supplies for the apartment tonight.

I think that's it for now and I should get back to work :)

2 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad you are having fun so far..hopefully we can chat on skype soon, I still need to figure out the hours(just when Ive figured out australia time!) I can just picture you trying to bargain with people haha, i love it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. hee! I found that walking away was a good way to get them to lower their prices when I was overseas. This is especially effective if you haggle for a bit and seem like you will buy it, but then put it down and regretfully turn away.

    ReplyDelete